In Sanskrit “Bharadvaj” is one of the seven legendary seers and “asana”, meanining is “pose”.
In English name is “Sage Bharadvaja’s twist”.
Position : Sitting
Type : Twisting
Spiritual Awareness : Manipura
Physical Awareness : Legs, ankles, groin, chest, lungs, abdomen, shoulders.
Dosha Suitability : Vata and Kapha
Introducery Asanas : Baddha Konasana, Supta Padangusthasana, Virabhadrasana II, Virasana
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Shift over onto your right buttock, bend your knees, and swing your legs to the left. Lay your feet on the floor outside your left hip, with the left ankle resting in the right arch.
- Inhale and lift through the top of the sternum to lengthen the front torso. Then exhale and twist your torso to the right, keeping the left buttock on or very close to the floor. Lengthen your tailbone toward the floor to keep the lower back long. Soften the belly.
- Tuck your left hand under your right knee and bring your right hand to the floor just beside your right buttock. Pull your left shoulder back slightly, pressing your shoulder blades firmly against your back even as you continue to twist the chest to the right.
- You can turn your head in one of two directions: continue the twist of the torso by turning it left and looking over the left shoulder at your feet.
- With every inhalation lift a little more through the sternum, using the push of the fingers on the floor to help; with every exhalation twist a little more. Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then release with an exhalation, return to the starting position, and repeat to the left for the same length of time.
Deeping of the pose: You can increase the challenge in this pose by slightly varying the position of the arms and hands. First, exhale and swing your right arm around behind your back as you twist to the right. If you can, grip the left arm just at the elbow with the right hand; if you can’t hold a strap looped around the left elbow. Then turn your left arm outward (so the palm faces away from the knees) and slip the hand under the right knee, palm on the floor.
Followup Asanas: Trikonasana, Paschimottanasana, Virabhadrasana II.
Spotlight effects: Legs, ankles groin, chest, lungs, shoulders, spine, abdomen.
- Stretches the spine, shoulders and hips.
- Massages the abdominal organs.
- Relieves lower backache, neck pain, and sciatica.
- Helps to relieve stress.
- Improves digestion.
- Especially good in the second trimester of pregnancy for strengthening the lower back.
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Precautions and Contraindications:
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
Get in Touch…
Addresss: Himalayan Yoga Ashram, Himalayan Yoga association, Gulab Nagar, Tapovan, Rishikesh, 249137, Uttarakhand
Contact no. : +919760206223
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | Yoga School in Rishikesh | Yoga Course in Rishikesh | Yoga in Rishkesh | 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Certification in Rishikesh