In Sanskrit “Simha” means “Lion” and “Asana” means “Pose”. The English name of this asana is “Lion Pose”.
Position : Sitting
Type : Stress-relieving
Spiritual Awareness : Ajna, Visuddhi
Physical Awareness : Chest, throat, eyebrow centre, forehead.
Dosha Suitability : Best suited for Kapha and Vata can also benefit.
Introducery Asanas : Vajrasana
- Sit in Vajrasana with the knees about 45 cm apart. The toes of both feet should remain in contact with each other.
- Lean forward and palace the palms of the hands on the floor between the knees, with the fingers pointing towards the body.
- Straighten the arms fully and arch the back.
- Rest of the body on the straight arms.
- Tilt the head back so that there is a comfortable amount of tension in the neck.
- Close the eyes keeping the inner gaze or keep it open and focus on the eyebrow center, performing Shambhavi Mudra.
- The mouth should be closed.
- Relax the facial muscles, whole body and mind, and straighten the neck. Straighten the leg and return to sitting position.
Variation : Simhagarjanasana (Roaring Lion Pose). Inhale slowly and deeply through the nose.
- At the end of inhalation, open the mouth and extend the tongue out as far as possible towards the chin.
- While slowly exhaling through the mouth, produce a clear, steady “aaa” sound from the throat, keeping the mouth wide open. Do not strain or force the sound in any way. At the end of exhalation, close the mouth and breathe in.
Followup Asanas: Balasan or Shavasan
- Benefits face and throat, which is normally not by other asanas.
- Relieves infection of the throat and respiratory tract.
- Relieves tension, fear, frustration, and emotional tension.
- Removes nervous and introverted natura.
- Face, eyes, throat, tongue, vocal chords, respiratoty tract, abdomen, chest diaphragm, fingers and hands are all exercised.
- Extension of the spinal cord is achieved.
- Total physically stability is gained.
- Cures bad breath.
- Cures stutters.
- Cures teeth grinding.
- Cures clenched jaws.
- Burning in the eyes is reduced.
- Prevents sagging of the throat.
- Removes wrinkles.
- Tensed up neck muscles are massaged.
- Tone of the voice is improved.
Precautions and Contraindications:
- For people with severe throat infection or any other chronic illness or acute problems.
- For weak knee and ankle joints, exercise with care.
Get in Touch…
Addresss: Himalayan Yoga Ashram, Himalayan Yoga association, Gulab Nagar, Tapovan, Rishikesh, 249137, Uttarakhand
Contact no. : +919760206223
Email Id: email@example.com
Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | Yoga School in Rishikesh | Yoga Course in Rishikesh | Yoga in Rishkesh | 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Certification in Rishikesh