PRASARITA PADOTTANASANA BBy Himanshu JoshiYoga
This is the second version of Prasarita Padottanasana. Compared to the first version we learnt, this is a little more challenging because we don’t have the help of our hands to deepen our bend. Let’s practice, let’s keep practicing!
1 – Stand with your legs apart as in Prasarita Padottanasana A, Stretch arms out to the sides at chest level, horizontal to the ground. Hold in this position while actively straightening your arms out.
2 – As you exhale, place the hands on the waist. Give yourself a good inhale, and bend down from the groin and place the top of your head slowly on the floor, using the strength of the abdominal muscles and legs. Breathe steadily.
3 – Keep your hands on the waist and as you inhale, lift the head up by using only the strength of the waist and legs, and stand up straight and exhale. As you inhale, go to Samasthiti.
- Stretches the back side of the whole legs, glutes, and lower back as well as the shoulders, chest, abdomen
- Improves the hop joint flexibility
- Creates healthy space between the vertebrae
- Strengthen the feet, the entire legs
- Creates length in the spine
- Improves posture
- Bringing a fresh supply of blood in the head thus helps in reducing fatigue and stress
Avoid this asana unless instructed any modifications by professionals if you have any of the below or feel uncomfortable any time during your practice.
- Injury in ankles, knees, and any sprain in the neck, shoulders
- Recent surgery in the knees, hips, ankles
- High blood pressure, vertigo, migraine
- Spinal disorders
- Have undergone heart surgery