Shatkarma is a set of yogic purifications of the body. It is a part of yoga sadhanas / practice. Their purpose is to remove impurities/ toxins accumulated in the body and are clinical in nature. It cure diseases and prepare the body for asanas and pranayama.
Types of Shatkarma
- Neti . This is nasal passage cleansing using neti pot with salt lukewarm water.
- Dhauti. This is cleansing of the digestive tract
- Basti. This is colon cleansing
- Trataka. This is gazing practice. We focus on a fixed single point or a candle light flame.
- Nauli. This is self administered abdominal massage. The core rotates internally by moving the abdominal muscle alternately in a close wise and counter clockwise direction.
- Kapalabhati. This is a pranayama which means skull shining. The inhalation is passive, but the exhalation is active/forceful. Energize and balance the nadis. This helps in respiratory ailments, reduce weight, enhance lung capacity, increase heat and improves digestion, and also remove tireness and makes one active.