The Benefits of Bhujangasana (Cobra-pose)
What is Asana?
A Sanskrit term, asana can be translated to ‘pose’ or ‘posture.’
Bhujangasana – meaning
The term “bhujanga” in Sanskrit means snake or serpent while “asana” means pose. Thus it forms the English term i.e cobra pose. This type of asana reflects a cobra’s posture – one which has a raised hood.
It is easy to learn Bhujangasana. It is practiced by lying down on the belly and the face placed in a manner in which the chin is touching the ground. The hands are placed near the body while palms touch the ground. The legs are to be kept straight and palms firmly pressed against the floor. The arms should be straightened as one inhales and the chest lifted , as one follows the upper back. The hips are to be kept steady and this postion is to be retained for a duration of fifteen to twenty seconds and then released.
Benefits of Cobra Pose:
· Aids in the stretching of shoulder muscles and muscles in the chest and abdominals
· The stiffness of the lower back is reduced
· Your arms and shoulder get strengthened
· Enhances flexibility
· Helps recover menstrual irregularities
· Helps elevate mood
· Helps gain firm and toned buttocks
· Revitalizes the heart
· The organs in the abdomen get stimulated , such as the kidneys
· Helps bust unwanted fatigue and stress
· Unlocks the chest while helping clear up the channels of the heart and lungs
· Perks up the oxygen and blood especially all the way through the pelvic and spinal section
· Aids in improvement of digestion
· Fortifies the spine
· Helps relieve sciatica
· Aids to ease off the symptoms of asthma
Reduces belly fat: Although it may be claimed that yoga is practiced to achieve a perfect life , the benefits of this art is secretly admired by the beauty lovers! The cobra pose in yoga has been told to be one of the best asanas that result in a flat stomach! As bhujangasana stretches the abdominal muscles, the benefits of this pose extends to beauty as well.
Improves circulation: The key to remain active and energized lies in good blood circulation. This is one of the major benefits of Bhujangasana, as it aids in the improvement of blood circulation. A good blood circulation indicates that sufficient oxygen and nutrients are received by your body’s cells . The hormonal balance is also maintained through improved blood circulation.
Stress management: For those suffering from anxiety, depression and stress related issues, here is some helpful information. The practice of bhujangasana is found to be very handy for the treatment of stress related symptoms such as headaches, weaknesses and fatigue. In addition, this asana is said to be effective in cases of depression management to some extent. However , those suffering from migraine or insomnia, it is recommended to take expert advice.
“Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self.” — The Bhagavad Gita
Top Related Post