In Sanskrit “Parigha” means “Cross bar”, “Asana” means “Posture”. The English name is “Gate latch pose”.
Position : Sitting
Type : Lateral bending
Spiritual Awareness : Ajan Chakra.
Physical Awareness : Lateral stretch, balance and coordination of the body.
Dosha Suitability : Pita
Introducery Asanas : Trikonasana, Upvistha Konasana. Virasana, Supta Padangusthasana
- Kneel on the floor with the ankles together, toes flat on the floorand the trunk upright.
- Mentally relax the whole body. Stretch the right leg sideways to the right, keeping it in line with the trunk and the left knee.
- Turn the right toes in slightly and rest the sole of the right foot on the ground.
- Inhale, raise the arms sideways at shoulder level so that they form one straight line.
- Exhale, move the trunk and right arm towards the extended leg.
- Rest the right forearm and wrist on the right shin and ankle respectively, with the right palm facing upwards.
- The right ear will then rest in the right upper arm.
- Move the left arm over the head and place the left palm on top of the right palm.
- The left ear will now touch the left upper arm.
- Make sure that the head and trunk face forwards so the front of the body lies in one plane.
- This is the final position. Breathe normally.
- Remain in this pose for as long as is comfortable, up to one minute.
- Come back to the upright position.
- Bend the right leg and kneel on the floor, keeping the ankles together in the starting position.
- Repeat the pose on the other side and hold the final position for an equal length of time.
Follow-up Asanas: Parivrtta Janu Sirshasana, Parsvakonasana.
Spotlight Effects: Lateral stretch, balance and coordination of the body.
- The posture gives a good lateral stretch to the pelvic region and trunk.
- It massages the abdominal muscles and organs and prevents the skin around the abdomen from sagging and also improves circulation.
- Makes the spine flexible.
Stretches the muscles joining the ribs helping in lung expansion thus increasing the capacity of deep breathing. Thus helps asthma patients.
Precautions and Contraindications:
- High blood pressure.
- Knee injury.
Get in Touch…
Addresss: Himalayan Yoga Ashram, Himalayan Yoga association, Gulab Nagar, Tapovan, Rishikesh, 249137, Uttarakhand
Contact no. : +919760206223
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | Yoga School in Rishikesh | Yoga Course in Rishikesh | Yoga in Rishkesh | 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Certification in Rishikesh