In Sanskrit “Hamsa” means “Swan” and “Asana” means “Posture”. The English name of the asana is “Swan Pose”.
Position : Sitting
Type : Balancing pose
Spiritual Awareness : Manipura Chakra.
Physical Awareness : Maintaining balance, breath and abdomen
Dosha Suitability : Vata
Introducery Asanas : Trikonasana, Baddha Konasana
- Kneel on the floor with the feet together and the knees apart.
- Exhale completely. Place the palms flat on the floor with the fingers pointing towards the feet.
- Bring the wrists and forearms together so that they touch.
- Lean forward so that the abdomen rests on top of the elbows nd chest rests on the upper arms.
- Maintain the balance and slowly stretch the legs backward until they are straight.
- Keep the feet together and place the tips of the toes on the floor.
- Raise the head slightly and focus the gaze on a fixed point in front at eye level.
- In the final position, all the weight of the body should rest on the hands and the tips of the toes.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable breathing slowly and deeply or retain the breath if holding the final position only for few seconds. Do not strain.
- Lower the knees to the floor and sit up in Vajrasana and inhale. Relax the whole body.
- Beginners may increase the duration gradually over a period of weeks.
- Practise 3 rounds.
- Please note that this asana should not precede inverted asanas.
Follow-up Asanas: Mayurasana
Spotlight Effects: Abdomen and mild pressure on the thorax.
- Hamasana massages and stimulates all the abdominal organs and muscles.
- It also stimulates the appetite.
- It helps to remove constipation, flatulence, sluggishness of the liver and kidneys, and to expel stomach and intestinal worms.
- Eliminates dysentery.
Precautions and Contraindications:
- A cushion or pillow should be placed under the face to prevent injury in case the practitioner loses balance.
- People suffering from peptic or duodenal ulcers, hyperacidity, hernia or high blood pressure should not practice this asana.
- Pregnant women are strictly advised not to attempt this asana.
Get in Touch…
Addresss: Himalayan Yoga Ashram, Himalayan Yoga association, Gulab Nagar, Tapovan, Rishikesh, 249137, Uttarakhand
Contact no. : +919760206223
Email Id: [email protected]
Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | Yoga School in Rishikesh | Yoga Course in Rishikesh | Yoga in Rishkesh | 100 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh | 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Certification in Rishikesh